Thursday, September 26, 2013

JAUHELIHA-PERUNASOSELAATIKKO

Hello, Ennah here!

Dalin already updated one of her older costumes, so I thought I'd do the same. I decided to put all my older cosplays here in the same post, as I haven't done as many cosplays for myself as Dalin.

Over the years, I've done many custom-made cosplays for my friends from the series/games like Disgaea, Magic Knight Rayearth, Chrono Crusade and Shingeki no Kyojin.  After WCS preliminaries I really feel like I should keep a break from all the other cosplay projects than my own, especially now that we know that our next WCS-project is going to be humongously big!

So the first group cosplay project that I made with Dalin was a OC-version of Alice in Wonderland. It was just before the Tim Burton movie was released that we started designing our own versions of the characters. I wanted to 'cosplay' White Rabbit, as he was my favourite character in the books. We wore our costumes for Desucon at 2010.

At that time, I was still studying for clothing seamstress vocational degree, and I made the jacket as a part of my schoolwork. The 'swedish aristocrats gaypants', as we called them then, were from this vintage-themed upholstery fabric.

All together we did 4 costumes, Dalin did her Queen of Hearts, I did this, and together we did also Cheshire Cat and White Queen for our friends.

White Rabbit and Cheshire Cat

After that was this one project we both were very enthusiastic to the moment we put our cosplays on and walked to the con. To this day, we do not really talk about the project, as it was a bit... embarrassing one (but still, it was one of the funniest and greatest experiences with cosplaying that I've had, and the costumes were good... kinda)! There still might be some photos left in Dalins computer...

The next project was also with Dalin, as we did our Digimon cosplays for Desucon 2011. I was not as familiar with Digimon as Dalin, because I was more of an Pokémon child for myself. Still, one of my favourite characters in Digimon  was Wizardmon, and I decided to do that one. 

The fabrics were kinda hard to find, and many cosplays that I had seen so far had colors horribly off. Finally after going around Uusimaa's fabric stores, I found some at Eurokangas in their scrap box. In the cape, the white patterns were actually from adhesive fabric that I had ironed on, because I didn't want any stitches to be shown on the other side. 

The thing I have with my cosplays is that I'm really, really lazy to get them photographed. To me, being in a convention with my costume means more to me than getting good pictures. With Wizardmon, we were having a blast all day at Desucon, and before we left, my friend took couple of pictures of me. I probably should probably get this one photographed better ;;___;;.


The next project was for Tracon 2011, as we decided to do a Star Wars -group. I remember being a little girl and watching the older movies with my dad. He would always tell me how he had went to see the first movie in theater when he was just a little boy and how amazed he was by all the cool special effects.

So this project was dear to me, and first I was troubled by which character should I do, Amidala in her Black Invasion costume or Tusken Raider. We were supposed to have Amidala attending to our group, so I decided to do the Tusken Raider. The sewing part was simple to do, and the funniest part was to dirty up all the fabrics so they looked like they had been used a lot. 

The head part had an old respirator inside, and I builded the whole thing around that with duct tape and iron wire. Then I covered the whole thing with fabric and created the 'mouth part'. 





















So that's it. It's a shame that I haven't had the time to make more cosplays for myself, but I've promised myself now to prioritize my own cosplays before anyone elses. I'm not saying that it hasn't been fun doing those costumes as well, but wearing my own handmade costume and hearing peoples thoughts on it really get's a smile on my face.


***

I've done some progress with Hajimes outfit, the skirt is almoust done. I have to stitch the hem and put the suspenders on.

The only fabric that I had to buy for this cosplay was the black skirt-material. I bought this really nice cotton fabric that has a bit elastane on it. I had to put some adhesive fabric on the lining so that the tight part on the waist doesn't stretch.

Loving my Vallila's mandariini carpet

We always do our patterns from scratch, using only our own measurements. It's easier to get the right fit when you do your patterns yourself. These particular patterns were easy to do, I just had to get the fit from under the bust to waist tight and the rest of the skirt was cut bell-shaped.


Pattern pieces

That's it for now. Next post is probably going to be Dalin's again, as she tells you more about her older projects.

- E

No comments:

Post a Comment