Tuesday, September 24, 2013

MUSTIKKARAHKA

Dalin here !!

We were actually thinking on telling you guys a little bit about our past cosplay projects now when the WCS 2014 project is over. So I'm gonna start with my Cherubimon cosplay from Digimon movie: Hurricane touchdown! Supreme evolution the golden digimentals and from Digimon Frontier. 

As a kid I was a huge fan of Digimon series (probably even more than Pokémon). Cherubimon was one of my favorites from the movie and it was hysterical when I realized after many years that I actually could do a Cherubimon costume. Fueled with this idea and the fact that no one had ever done this level of cosplay of this character, I decided to make something amazing !!


Cherubimon - Virus mode.

I made the costume for Desucon 2011, and at that time it was one of my most challenging costume I have ever made. It took one week to make this whole thing and now afterwards when I think about the making of this costume... It's kinda difficult to comprehend how I managed to build this thing only in seven days !! In the end Ennah had to help me out on some parts which I wasn't able to do by myself. Like gluing some filling and making sure the costume fitted on me and there wasn't any horrible mistakes anywhere. 

I just remember listening Digimon theme songs, OST's, episodes and movies as a background sound the whole week and not sleeping much. 


Digimon episode playing at the background...

As for the materials, there's a lot of filler (vanu) inside the hands and thigh-belly area. 

For building the inhuman shape there's also all kinds of supporting structures made out of iron wire, wood, duct tape, hot glue, sleeping mat, plastic bottle and cycle helmet. The violet, dark green and light blue fabrics are fleece so you can just imagine how hot this thing was to wear when there's almost +30°C outside. This thing is huge and heavy and when a 177 cm tall, not so skinny person like me is wearing it... it's quite massive sight.

Playing with the patterns and shapes was easier than it looks like. If you have even a slightest clue on how patterns and especially 3D shaped patterns work it's not so difficult to make something like this. 


Planning 
I always start cosplay costumes by drawing the character and writing all the details and work phases on multiple times and on countless different papers (which I sometimes somehow manage to lose somewhere). Thoroughly planned procedure will help a lot when making the costume and it will eliminate the possibility of making too many mistakes.


Yo Dude I'm gonna hit ya through that brick wall !!

One of the most delicious memories while wearing this costume was when I started to run after this about 5-year old kid and he started to cry and run away hysterically while screaming his mum and dad. Oh the wonderful memories. That kid was probably traumatized for life. Afterwards people came over to ask to hug them because I was so cruel to that kid. Can't even remember how many people I hugged at that day.



We actually made it to the front page of local news paper with my friend who cosplayed Dipp from Katamari. With a hug picture, how surprising. There was also a small picture of us inside where the actual article was. Ennah was cosplaying the Wizardmon btw. She will tell you more about that in her own post.


It's a shame that there isn't a picture of how I had to cycle the 3 km distance from my apartment to the event location while wearing that costume (without the huge hands of course).

- D

2 comments:

  1. Thank you !!! I need to do some repairing to it and I'm probably going to wear it again in the summer Desucon 2014. That's the most convenient event for me to wear it because I live only about 3 km away from Sibeliustalo. Tule morjenstaa jos näät ;DD
    - Dalin

    ReplyDelete