Friday, June 20, 2014

MUUMIMAMMAN LÄMMIN SIPULIMAITO

Liirum laarum everyone, it's Ennah here!

So, I kinda might have participated in Hypecon's cosplay competition. This post is all about the Hypecon-Saturday and my all over the place emotions.

I was so unsure about participating to the competition, and actually chose to do so after the official participating time was over. Gladly, I was still accepted. Dalin was supposed to participate as well, but sadly she didn't finish her costume in time.

I had wanted to do a Witch-cosplay from Moomin for so long, and already had all the materials I needed. As I am a cosplayer that enjoys challenges, I set up myself a little different one this time; to do the cosplay as ecologically as I can. All the materials were either given to me, leftovers or bought from the flea markets. Apart from the three buttons in the jacket, the only bought materials were the yellow contact lenses. I will tell you more about the process itself in other post.


The witch - Moomin


I finished the costume at 2am, and woke up 6am, because of the text message. It was Dalin. She was, at least wrote so, dying, feeling sick and dizzy because of her costume. She had been awake for the whole night, trying to finish her costume in time. She said that it was going to take a hell of a miracle straight from her ass to finish the costume in time. I felt really sad for her, as she had worked really hard for the outfit.

I started to put my make up on, a bit scared, because make up isn't really my forte. But when I started to put it on, something happened. I found it much easier than usually, even the contacts went in easily.

Finally at 8am, Dalin gave up, wanting to spare her outfit from any hazard mistakes she could make. I was happy that she still wanted to come with me to Hypecon and calm my nerves. We agreed to meet up here at my place, and when she came, looking like a zombie that hadn't risen up from the grave in time, the frustration and tiredness were oozing from her.

I borrowed Dalin's prosthetic adhesive and glued my wigs hairline to it's place and then it was time to hurry to the train. Typically, it was raining, so I worried a lot over my skirts hem, because it was hardened with sugar. Water could have ruined the effect in the hem. I was happy to realize that the costume was still in one piece when we got to the Hyvinkäänsali. (I will make a tutorial about sugar starching later.)

Sneak peek of the sugar starching.

The place itself was full of people, and for someone who loves their personal space, it was little too cramped. Otherwise the convention was small and nice, and the staff was really warm and helpful. Some information about the competition didn't get quite through everyone, but I think that it was mainly because the competition was first one ever held in Hypecon.

Before I knew it, it was time go to the judging. Dalin went to listen a panel about how anime series are shown in cosplay and I was so scared, because usually she had always been there with me. Now I had to go all alone. ;-;

There was one contestant before me, and I had to wait there in the empty hallway, trying to calm myself down before the judging. I was really worried that my fake teeth wouldn't stay on when talking and would fall off. Plus with them on, I stuttered very similarly to my character.

The judging itself went really fine. I was really nervous to realize that the judges were people who's work I admire, but they were so nice that I soon forgot to be nervous and just started babbling everything about my cosplay.

After the judging, we had a little time before the competition itself started. We went to eat food in the nearby shopping mall, and then it was time to go behind the stage.

I started to talk to the other contestants so that I would forget my nervousness, and found many of them really nice. While I was talking, I realized one of my fake tooth started to fall off right before they were going to start the show. It was so horrible, and the other contestants must have watched me like I was crazy, shaking and holding the tooth in place, hoping that it would stay on.

When they said my name, it was time to go to the stage. Walking to the stage was so nerve wracking that I thought I could die. I was really happy to hear later on that my poses were good, because thinking back, I didn't have any idea what I did.

I was really happy to be one of the first ones to go on the stage, because I got to watch the other competitors that came after me. Last time at WCS, we were the last pair to perform, so I didn't get to see any of the performances. :(

Group picture of all the contestants

One of the reasons why I chose to compete, was because I wanted to get more comfortable on stage and gain more confidence. It wasn't to win, I didn't even think I could win. Still, being me, I really hoped that I'd get an honorary mention.

I was so dumbstruck when the last name they called was mine. I had won. What? Really?? ME??? I was so overwhelmed that I started to cry while walking back to the stage. Even though it was a little competition, it was my first costume competition and to win that means the world to me.

On the left; the top three and on the right; the honorary mentions.

After I got off from the stage, many of the other contestants came to hug me. I was still in such a huge shock, but there's one thing I remember that still warms my heart. Snow, who got the second place, said that I bring back his childhood memories. To me, that's the best complement a person can have, cosplaying a character like this. So, thank you so much!!!!

Later, we went to take some crappy photos with Dalin's phone. We forgot to take a good camera with us, but for now, these will do...



 


Overall, for me, Hypecon was amazing convention filled with different kind of emotions. I can't thank the judges, contestants, staff and audience enough. I'm still so ridiculously happy about this that I can't even...!!!! ;;--;;; <3

-E


....
......

.......HI GUYS, Dalin here !! I came to hijack this really emotional post to announce that we have a

FACEBOOK PAGE

Follow us if you want to live !! That's all, see ya' soon ;DD



1 comment:

  1. Eiiiii oh my gawd tä on just yks niistä hahmoista joita en olisi uskonut että joku cossais! Aivan mahtava idea ja hienolta näyttää! XD ONNEA VOITOSTA!!

    ReplyDelete