Wednesday, February 19, 2014

KARJALANPAISTI

Well hello fellow cosplayers, it's Ennah here!

Desucon Frostbite 2014 is sadly over. I saw many of my dear friends, met cool new people and had an overall blast weekend. It had been over a year from a last 'real' convention  experience, since my whole Tracon was spend doing WCS-stuff.

I was going to do the major animal hybrid-costume project we had going on with Dalin, but decided that it might be wiser to do that one later when I have more time to do it. Better to do it in peace than hurry, right? I will be doing the goat-costume next summer!

I got Nintendo 3DS for Christmas present from my lovely parents. The first thing I did, as a hardcore Pokemón kid, was buying the new Pokemon Y.  I got so obsessed with it that I finished the game in four days. I have always wanted to cosplay someone from Pokemón, and I really liked one of the Elite Four trainers outfit. I'm talking about Drasna, who is a dragon-type trainer.

Drasna from Pokemon X and Y


I thought her bracelets and other accessories would be fun to do. I haven't really done much stuff like that, and my 3D perception is definitely not the best, so I thought this would bring me some challenge. I am more comfortable working with fabric, but getting away from my safe zone has always been one of the things that motivate me as a cosplayer, because you really can't learn too much.

I started of doing the shirt, which was ridiculously easy. The skirt was a bit of a challenge, but the main challenge was to find the right shade for the fabrics. For the shirt, I had to have a bit of elastane there to give it the right look, but for the skirt, the same material wasn't right. Finally I found this velvet fabric, which wrong side was the right color and shade. For the more reddish brown I used linen.

Most interesting part was definitely making the shoes. I bought some second hand shoes from flea market and started to build stuff around it. I was surprised how easy it really was! You can almost make anything with a creative mind, masking tape, newspaper, glue and wall filler. It might sound that I'm using weird stuff for making these things, but they were durable enough for me. I really don't watch much cosplay tutorials, so the stuff I'm using comes from what little experience I have.

Making the shoes.

I really enjoyed making these shoes, and I'm pretty happy how they turned out. The only damage I really had was on the heels. Walking for one day in the heels was maybe bit too much, as small pieces of filler broke off at the bottom of the heel. Oh well, nothing that I can't fix later.

Shoes with the first coat of paint and the neck pieces

I did the bracelets and the other pieces with the same technique as the shoes, doing the shape in cardboard, gluing newspaper and mask tape around it, and finally covering the whole thing with thick layer of wood filler. I was a bit sad because my usual wood filler ran out, and I had to get another brand, which wasn't as good as my normal one. As it dried up, the filler started to crack, and I had to do many layers of it before I could even think of sanding it. One thing I found out though, was that as the filler dried up, it was more durable than my usual filler. 

Bracelet pieces

Sanding all the pieces was hell, because I had to do it inside my house. It's been really cold here in Finland, and sanding outside wasn't an option. It definitely isn't healthy to do that, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. I had to vacuum my whole room every time I stopped sanding something. 


Bracelets

I had so much trouble with my wig for this cosplay. I bought one from eBay, and found out that they hadn't even had sended it month later. Luckily Dalin was in New York with her class, and she bought me one there. I really can't believe my luck and thank her enough for getting me the wig I needed. 

All and all, I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I've got more confidence in my abilities and even though there are always imperfections (like the wrong order of pearls in the neckpiece -__-), I do think that in this cosplay, the good things override the bad parts. 

Kyuu Eturautti / Creative Commons Zero

No comments:

Post a Comment